Thursday, December 27, 2007

Another Christmas has come and gone. Except it's not really over since my bother and sister haven't come into town yet (and I think I have another large Christmas present coming). Christmas Eve at Grandma's was pretty tight. The feel of it has totally changed but it's still great fun. All the anticipation has gone out of it. All the food was out when we got there and people just started eating. There wasn't even a line.

Then they had a grab bag "game" for the kids, and, before you knew it (and without any announcement or people trying to delay it), the presents were passed out and opened. I don't really have anything to do with that part since I only got one wrapped present (thanks Grandma!) and I didn't get it until the next day because it got put in with the out of town gifts. What's up with that?

The adult grab bag has gone from being a bizarre novelty to being the focal point of the night, which is sad because it can be pretty lame. It had a couple good moments, I guess. The two t-shirts I put in got stolen twice. My aunt's husband opened them (and was not at all into it), but then they were stolen by my aunt Donna (who got my shirt last year), and finally ended up with my aunt Anne. I'm curious as to which of her ten kids will end up wearing them.

I think my favorite thing I learned this Christmas Eve was that my cousin, Anna, who ended up with my shirt from last year (since it was way too small for Donna) wore it when she gave a presentation in her health class at school about date rape drugs. Awesome.

But back to the grab bag. I decided (since I knew that there wouldn't be anything I really wanted) to go for the weird gift, and, luckily, it was opened before my turn. I stole that delightful glass head from my cousin Emery. She wasn't into it for some reason. After that, I ate some apple pie and poppyseed cake, and headed home to wait for Christmas morning.

No comments: