Thursday, November 08, 2007

Remember when we were young and active on Friendster? Those were the days. I was looking through my old Friendster inbox earlier. I was lured there by an email about a new message. The message turned out to be a phantom, but I found a bunch of other, older spam. It had been a while since I'd been in there. Strange things were growing.

I was surprised by the number of messages from actual people. That doesn't happen on myspace. It's all spam all the time on myspace. Friendster actually offered up messages from real people who had actually read my profile. Some of these messages were very old. I'm not sure if I'd ever seen some of them before. I should reply to them. "You messaged me on here two years ago and I never replied." And then ask some bizarre personal questions. That could work.

I also read back over the few messages from the people I know. There are some weird ones from my brother when he was at school and some random messages from people from Pitt. There are also a couple messages from people that I don't know, and, shockingly, replied to. For instance, a girl messaged me, and we became "friends" although we never had any interaction beyond her initial message to me, my reply to her in haiku form, and another message from her. I guess the ball is in my court on that one. But, hey, isn't that what's missing from the internet age? Epic correspondences? I think so. No more three line replies to email for me. From now on I take years before I reply but I write a novel back to you. Well, maybe a novella.

No comments: