Thursday, January 12, 2006

It has been brought to my attention that today is the ten year anniversary of the Neil O'Donnell Song. On January 12th 1996, two days before the Steelers met the Colts in the AFC championship game, my older brother, sister, and I went on the Doug Hoerth radio show and performed the Neil O'Donnell Song, the only song, to my knowledge, ever written about Steeler quarterback, and Superbowl goat, Neil O'Donnell. My brother wrote and sang the song while my sister played the tambourine and I played an Em chord over and over on the guitar.

We handled ourselves well. My brother talked to 'Uncle Dougie" about John Fred and his Playboy Band, and I, young and ashamed of my homeschool upbringing, answered the question of what I do by saying "It's complicated." Hilarity ensued. We received some black and gold bagels for our trouble.

The Steelers beat the Colts but would go on to lose the Superbowl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Had Neil realized that Andre Hastings was open on those plays, I suspect that there would have been more songs written about him.