Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The high point of the night: three young, blonde girls come through in a tightly packed group. I burst out of my cabinet and they stop dead in their tracks. I start with my child friendly routine, singing "under the knife, under the knife, who's the first under the knife?". The girls haven't budged. If I remember correctly, they've taken a step or two backwards. They recover and start moving forward. I point at the middle girl and ask "you?". She doesn't look at me and says "no" in a high, tiny voice.

The one thing I wish I'd done differently: there was a girl in the first group who was talking back about how I couldn't do anything to her because I'm not allowed to touch her (absolutely no touching patrons) which is true. I wish I had picked up one of the rubber gloves that litter my room and said as I was putting it on "there are ways around that rule".

No comments: