Monday, June 27, 2005

I lead a very active fantasy life. For instance, I've never had a nickname. I played on this baseball team where, over the course of the season, everyone acquired a nickname except me. I'm just kind of bland. Not that I've really ever wanted a nickname but sometimes you have to wonder if you're doing something wrong if you don't have one. If I were Catfish Fredland or Blackmagic Fredland you'd know I'm an interesting person with a story to tell. You'd want to get to know me, but as it is I'm just some guy. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Anyway, I've concocted a fantasy where I went to school and was over-weight. Imagine if you will the plight of an over-weight kid in the elementary schools of Pittsburgh with the last name of Fredland. I think it would only be natural for this kid to pick up the nickname of local supermarket chain Foodland. As you can imagine my fantasy elementary days were not happy ones.

Through elementary school other local supermarket names were thrown my way after the initial success of Foodland. I was also called Shop 'n Save, which didn't stick, and Giant Eagle, which did. So here I am in junior high with the nicknames Foodland and Giant Eagle. I'm quiet. I internalize the pain. In freshman year of high school, miracle of miracles, I drop the weight. Oh, my god, I'm a hottie. I become cool. My supermarket nicknames no longer make any sense. I become known simply as The Eagle.

Now I'm the CEO of my own company: The Eagle Diversified Technology Corporation.

No comments: