Monday, May 30, 2005

Went to the driving range again today. My mother has come with us the last three weeks. It's cute--me and my parents at the driving range. But hey, my parents met at a golf class so what do you expect? Shockingly, I built off the success of last week. Started off with the 3-wood. It was flying pretty well. Sometime this weekend I saw a slowmotion replay of Justin Leonard driving a ball and I noticed that he doesn't move his legs at all during his backswing. And since my dad's been pointing out that I move my legs too much I decided to try and remove all movement. It was working. I've also improved my grip in the last couple weeks. My grip was slipping a bit. Today when I had my grip right and I would keep my legs still it was going really well. After the 3-wood I wasn't having as much success with the driver but I still managed to hit a couple good ones and most of them were playable.

Eventually we moved off the tees to the grass area. I've been able to hit the ball pretty well off and on off the tees over the years but I've always had problems hitting off grass. You can imagine how this has put a damper on my enjoyment of the game. It's not like you can switch over to playing on clay or the hard court. It's grass or nothing. Last week I was doing all right hitting a wedge off the grass and I was hitting the wedge even better today. I hit some nice high straight ones that carried a little passed the 100 yard marker. Then I was even hitting some nice 6-irons. At the end I was hitting some very nice shots with this strange, metal 7-wood. I may actually be out on the links in a couple weeks.

At the very end we were joking that we'll have to find a left handed-father-son-Pitt alumni tournament to play in.

No comments: