Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Damn, I tried to watch that Revelations show on NBC. They never really had me, but they lost me completely when the Satanists showed up. Satanists? Come on. Religion is one of my favorite genres, but this was just too ham-fisted. What are you doing, Bill Pullman. I try and like you but you make it so hard. I’m talking to you, Independence Day.

Anyway, I ended up watching the end of Can’t Buy Me Love instead. Man, it’s so beautiful when Patrick Dempsey gives his speech about how hard it is to just be yourself and then the jock guy shakes Hans Klopek’s hand. They carried him twelve blocks to the hospital and he cried the whole way! Wow.

And then, in the most courageous move of all, #22 starts the spontaneous applause. Do you know how much courage it takes to just start clapping for a beautiful human moment? Do you? Do you really? Brought a tear to my eye. Yes, it did. That scene is far more glorious than anything in the Bible, the Koran, the Book of Mormon, or L. Ron Hubbard’s Dianetics.