Thursday, March 24, 2005

I’ve been harvesting ideas from my old notebooks for my screenplay. I started keeping a notebook way, way back in 1999. The beginning of that one is so sad. It’s all tiny thoughts (but it’s a small notebook so maybe that figures). I was 21 but still an infant. But, you know, I got the old brain muscle going and that book eventually got some cute ideas in. I never did actually fill that book up. I just sort of moved on.

In December 2001 I started the first of the good notebooks. It probably isn’t a coincidence that that was when I switched from the smaller book to a normal sized one. In March of 2002, exactly three years ago, my writing started to become more complex. I started writing short narratives. Now, I had written little stories when I was really young (see the Big Fight written on a piece of construction paper) and my brother and I had made some wonderfully awful comics, but this was something different. I can still remember forcing myself to do this—going from unrelated sentence after unrelated sentence to stories.

It was like magic.

Also, in the course of keeping these notebooks I started keeping track of my dreams. They naturally made their way onto the page.

Later in the notebook from 2002, in the summer, are a series of one-page stories that I wrote in one sitting. They were completely unedited, and, remain (until I finish one of my screenplays anyway) the acme of my writing. I would clear my head and wait for an interesting first sentence. Then I would lay there for forty-five minutes until the story was finished.

No one has ever read these stories. They remain these private, secret things that make me smile.

Maybe I’ll finally type them up.

No comments: